GARR-X Progress aims to:
- Deploy, in the 4 Regions of Convergence, a full-optical next-generation network, integrated with the GARR-X national telecommunication infrastructure as well as the other Research and Education Networks in Europe and worldwide.
- Provide, over this infrastructure, a wide portfolio of advanced connectivity services, including 10, 40 and 100 Gbps access links and optical end-to-end circuits, thus allowing research groups operating in the 4 regions to exchange large amounts of data with scientific partners worldwide, making existing collaborations more efficient and facilitating the creation of new ones.
10, 40 and 100 Gbps access links and dedicated optical end-to-end circuits
- Implement a distributed computing and storage environment over the new network, to offer the research and ICT community leading-edge ICT services.
- Fill a gap in the local availability of telecommunication and ICT infrastructures, thus enabling the research and education communities operating in areas affected by the digital divide to actively participate in the European Research Area and in the new EU programmes.
- Offer advanced training programmes to a wide range of professionals, from decision makers to technicians, postgraduates, and young researchers, thus enabling them to make the best of the new infrastructure.
- Promote the creation of a favorable environment for local innovative enterprises to grow and flourish thanks to the access to advanced e-infrastructures and services and the dissemination of technical knowledge.